What do I need to get married in Nova Scotia? To get married, you need to bring with you:
- Birth certificates for individuals planning to get married
- The passports (or an official ID)
- Your social insurance number (for Canadian living outside);
- Divorced decree (if married before)
What is the process I need to take to get married in Nova Scotia? 1. Application Process: A couple who wants to be married first gets a marriage license and takes it to a clergyperson, judge or justice of the peace. They perform the marriage ceremony and then complete the official marriage registration, which then becomes the official record of the marriage. Issuing Department / Agency: Vital Statistics Office, Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations 2. The clergyperson, judge or justice of the peace then returns the documents to the Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licenses, who then forwards them to Vital Statistics. 3. When anyone is married in Nova Scotia, that marriage needs to be officially registered by the Vital Statistics Office of the Government of Nova Scotia. This formal documentation is your proof of marriage. 4. Within 48 hours the official marriage registration is supposed to be forwarded by the clergyperson, judge or justice of the peace to the Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licenses, who then forwards it to Vital Statistics for signing. What are the costs for this process?
- The marriage license is $132 + tax
- The fee for the marriage ceremony is set by agreement between the Clergy and couple being married
- If the marriage is performed by a Judge or Justice of the Peace anywhere other than in a courtroom, then the fee for the ceremony is set by agreement between the Judge and the couple being married.
Where can you get this Certificate and / or further information? Phone Outside of Nova Scotia: 902-424-4381 Toll-Free in Nova Scotia: 1-877-848-2578 Hours: 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (except Holidays). Visit Vital Statistics Office: Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations Joseph Howe Building Ground Floor 1690 Hollis Street Halifax, NS B3J 3J9 Canada E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Halifax Customer Service Centre Scotia Square 5201 Duke Street Halifax, NS B3J 1N9