While last year will be tough to beat, 2017 is shaping up to be one of Halifax’s biggest and best years yet. There are so many reasons to visit Halifax this year, and we’ve narrowed down to a few must-sees and must-dos of 2017 for visitors and locals alike – we think you’re going to love them!
With more pubs, clubs, and eateries within its borders than most other cities in Canada, it’s no surprise that foodies flock to Halifax. There is always somewhere new to taste, including these delicious dining experiences:
- As the winner of the Coast’s Best New Restaurant, Studio East and its Asian fusion dishes have become a fan favourite. If you haven’t visited yet, you don’t know what you’re missing!
- Black Sheep is a relative newcomer to Halifax but, with an amazing atmosphere and unforgettable flavours, you’ll be hooked after one bite.
- Be one of the first to taste the cozy Italian cuisine of Mappatura Bistro, which just opened in November 2016. You won’t be disappointed!
Just when you thought that your Halifax bucket list couldn’t get any longer, 2017 brings another year filled with amazing activities, including:
- The new Discovery Centre opening in February, featuring STEAM-oriented galleries, an Innovation Lab, a Travelling Exhibits Gallery and an Immersive Dome Theatre.
- This year is Canada’s 150th anniversary of confederation and Halifax is the place to be for patriotic Atlantic Canadians. All year long Halifax will celebrate Canada’s Birthday with free admission to Parks Canada sites, and the biggest and best events to date.
- 2017 marks the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion. Details on the commemorative event are still pending, but are bound to be an incredible memorial.
As the fashion capital of Atlantic Canada, there’s nowhere better to shop until you drop than Halifax. There are plenty of beautiful new boutiques popping up all over the city, including these shops:
- For trendy and versatile apparel and accessories for men and women, 11 Street Boutique is a great spot to find everything you’re looking for and more!
- If you enjoy style, while being socially responsible, SattVa Boutique is the perfect place for you. We have no doubt that you’ll leave looking and feeling
- Coined the retailer for “It Girls” everywhere, Alexa Pope is a must for fashionistas in the city. From casual to glamorous, you’ll always find the right look.
New year, new goals, new workouts! New Year’s fitness resolutions are much easier to keep if you’re having fun, so this year our must-try fitness routines are all about the exercise and the experience.
- Halifax’s boutique fitness studios, such as Rio Pilates & Yoga Studio and Cyclone Fitness, are all about variety. Workout and try something new with a class you’ve never taken before.
- There’s nothing like tapping, pirouetting or twirling yourself in shape. Halifax Dance offers drop-in classes for adults that will leave you sweaty and happy!
- This year, take your fitness to the great outdoors with one of the many outdoor yoga classes around the city, such as classes at Point Pleasant Park or at Bishops Landing.
If you are itching to fill your new calendar, look no further! 2017 is full of events you won’t want to miss, including our favourites:
- The Rendez-vous 2017 Tall Shipd Regatta will return to Halifax this summer! Additional information will be available in the coming months but prepare for lots of excitement on the waterfront.
- Canada Day is always a blast, but with Canada 150 it is going to be the biggest free event of the entire year and we can’t wait!
- This year the Halifax Seaport Beerfest will celebrate their 11th year of Beer on the Pier. With lots of local brews, what better way to quench your thirst this summer?
Feeling inspired to visit Halifax in 2017? Find out more about Nova Scotia’s capital city from Destination Halifax!