Magical Afternoon in the Spring Garden Area Itinerary
Have a fun day in the Spring Garden Area with a trip to a storybook café and a walk through the magical Halifax Public Gardens.
- Visit the Rabbit Hole Café for a sweet afternoon tea of brightly-coloured cakes and a selection of teas, coffees and other drinks.
- Take a stroll in the magical Halifax Public Gardens.
- Finish with an ice cream from the Dairy Bar, just across the street from the Gardens.
Follow Alice down the Rabbit Hole
At the Rabbit Hole Café you'll find brightly-coloured, creamy cakes that are the closest thing to an edible cartoon, and a range of teas, coffees and other drinks sure to please visitors of all ages.
Take a stroll in the Public Gardens
Next, head to the magnificent Halifax Public Gardens for a walk through the traditional Victorian gardens. With fountains, a duck pond, and lots of benches to sit and relax, bring a book, a deck of cards or a cribbage board, or just sit and absorb the quiet.
Pop across the street for an ice cream
Across from the Public Gardens, on South Park Street is the Dairy Bar, where you can get an ice cream to enjoy in the gardens or in Victoria Park across the street.
Walk, shop and recharge
The Public Gardens are right in the heart of Halifax; just steps away, you can climb Citadel Hill for the views, wander the streets of historic downtown neighborhoods, or investigate the shops and restaurants of Spring Garden Road and its inviting side streets.
Bonus: The Bengal Lancers C stable is just up the street - if you’re lucky, you might get the chance to wave hello to the horses!
→ Turn it into a staycation
Book a night at the Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, a grand hotel that has overlooked the Public Gardens for nearly a century.
Pack & Prep:
- The Rabbit Hole Café is tricky to find - here’s a map!
- You can travel light for this afternoon outing, but a book, a game, or a sketchbook might all come in handy for a fun activity sitting in the grass of the Gardens. Fortunately, Canada’s oldest children’s bookstore is located right around the corner! Woozles has a fantastic selection of books, toys, games and many more kid-approved treasures.