Did you know that the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is as big as the whole island of PEI? Find out just how big it is on the first edition of our Grand Tour Road Trip Routes series.
- Head for a swim at Hubbards
- Lunch at the Trellis Café in Hubbards
- Visit Uniacke Estate Museum Park
- Discover the Musquodoboit River at Dollar Lake Provincial Park
- Explore the Eastern Shore and 100 Wild Islands on your way back to Halifax
Head for Hubbards, on the southern edge of the HRM to explore the area’s beaches, and enjoy a swim in the clear waters of St. Margaret’s Bay.
Stop in for lunch at the Trellis Café.
Next, head inland to Uniacke Estate Museum Park, where you can explore the 930 acres of grounds and walking trails of this elegant country estate built by prominent Nova Scotian John Uniacke.
Discover the Musquodoboit River at Dollar Lake Provincial Park where you’ll find secluded beaches, trails and picnic area.
Take the day to explore the dramatic landscapes of the Eastern Shore and 100 Wild Islands as you make your leisurely way back to Halifax.
Where to Stay
We highly recommend staying overnight between one (or all) of the communities you visit to give you even more time to explore! Here are a few suggestions for this particular route:
- Stay near Hubbards: Anchorage House & Cottages, Hubbards
- Stay on the Eastern Shore: Murphy’s Camping on the Ocean, Murphy Cove
Pack and Prep
- Plan your route out with Google Maps - remember to leave time for stops along the way.
- Check opening hours for restaurants and amenities before you leave.
- Each community has so much more to explore than what is listed here! Be sure to explore their community websites to customize your adventure!
- You’ll be moving from the coast to inland areas, so expect different weather - it is Nova Scotia, after all!