Blog written by Claire Parsons
The grilled cheese sandwich is a Canadian staple. Equal parts crispy and gooey, this classic comfort food has been part of Halifax lunchtime traditions for years. So – if you’re hankering for cheesy goodness in Halifax – you’re in luck! Get feasting with the round-up of epic grilled cheese purveyors below.
1. The Halifax Press Grilled Cheese Food Truck: This food truck takes grilled cheese seriously; it’s all they do! Their Big Business Club is a double-decker sandwich piled with Fox Hill cheddar, Brother’s bacon, roasted chicken, sliced tomatoes and fresh spinach. Even with all of the toppings, it is still as cheesy as any grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever had…and one of the best!
2. Lakeside Grill: Located in the Chocolate Lake Hotel (and recently renovated), this restaurant has a stunning view of the lake, an awesome patio and a delicious Chicken and Havarti Grilled Cheese Sandwich with spinach and cranberry mayo… and did I mention that they grill it on sourdough? Lakeside Grill is the perfect place to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich this summer!
Address: 20 St. Margaret’s Bay Rd.
3. The Canteen: Conveniently located on Ochterloney Street in Downtown Dartmouth, The Canteen is a sandwich shop that never ceases to amaze. Their sandwich menu changes daily, which means that if you see the grilled cheese on the menu, you NEED to try it! I was fortunate enough to try their three cheese grilled cheese with a side of tomato soup before it sold out. As simple as that combo sounds, the chef’s attention to detail and commitment to freshness makes for a flavourful combination. The Canteen believes, “…that everyone deserves a well-crafted sandwich.” And that’s what you get. Every time.
Address: 66 Ochterloney St.
4. The Nook on Gottingen: The Nook is a cozy neighbourhood coffee shop with a variety of gluten free, vegan and “bacon friendly” grilled cheese options. At lunchtime, their bold Omni-Cheese Melt combines old cheddar and Swiss cheese with marinated mushrooms and tomato on homemade rye bread. For breakfast (yes, breakfast!) you can try their Cheddar & J or the Holy Goat.
Address: 2116 Gottingen St.
5. The Mindful Mango Café: Not only do they have an awesome Cheddar Cheese Panini with herb jelly; they are a socially-conscious café designed to help people living with mental illnesses discover and follow their path to self-sufficiency. Enjoy some cheesey goodness while supporting positive change.
Address: 7071 Bayers Rd.
6/ Your Father’s Moustache: Your Father’s Moustache makes a traditional grilled cheese sandwich with cheddar and white bread. This classic will remind you of the grilled cheeses you enjoyed as a kid!
Address: 5686 Spring Garden Rd
7. The Carleton Music Bar and Grill: The Carleton’s grilled cheese sandwich is simple yet savory. It’s blend of old cheddar and smoked Gouda on white bread with paprika mayo. It’s no surprise that it’s a popular menu item…and one you NEED to try.