Are you a pet-lover planning your next vacation? You’re in luck! Halifax is a very pet-friendly city with plenty of places to eat, stay and shop that will welcome your furry friend with open arms.
Check out our list of some of the best places to enjoy Halifax with your four-legged companions.
Where to Eat
Halifax has really embraced food truck culture over the past few years, which means plenty of outdoor options where you can have a snack accompanied by your furry best friend.
Since the number of Halifax food trucks seems to be growing by the minute, use Street Food App available for Android, Windows Phone, iPhone and online to find out where you favourite truck is going to be located, as well as their hours.
Julien’s Patisserie, Bakery and Café
A staple in the Hydrostone neighbourhood, Julien’s Patisserie, Bakery and Café is a North End favourite.
While you may not be able to bring your dog inside the shop, there are tables outside that allow you to hang out with your pup. Best of all – they have homemade dog treats. Be sure to buy a few so you’re not the only one enjoying bakery-goodness.
Cempoal de la Calavera Negro
Located at 2376 Agricola Street, Cempoal de la Calavera Negro is a relatively new to Halifax. Luckily for us pet owners, the Mexican-inspired café is pet friendly, allowing you to enjoy your coffee, the local music scene and a game of chess with your friends while your dog lounges nearby.
We’ve talked about Pavia Gallery & Espresso Bar on the blog before (check out the post on romantic hidden gems here). If your perfect date includes hanging out with someone who converses using ‘woofs!’, then Pavia is just the spot. They love dogs so much they’ve even got a water bowl on their patio so Fido can stay hydrated, too.
Where to Shop
After fueling up with your pup, it’s time to get some shopping done. Here’s just a small sample of pet-friendly stores in Halifax:
- Biscuit General Store: 1661 Argyle Street
- Inkwell Modern Handmade Boutique and Letterpress Studio: 1658 Market Street
- The Independent Mercantile: 2091 Gottingen Street
- Atlantic News: 5560 Morris Street
- Lululemon Athletica: 5490 Spring Garden
- Canadian Tire – Quinpool: 6203 Quinpool Road
- Kept Gifts and Homewares: 127 Portland
Where to Stay
Many hotels are now pet friendly, especially those that are part of national and international chains. Some of those worth mentioning in the Halifax-area include:
- The Westin Nova Scotian – it’s not only pet friendly, but is also reported to have some of the comfiest pet beds available. They also have a concierge that will fill you in on the top places to walk your dog in the city.
- The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites – This hotel has a concierge for pets and your special pal will get a treat upon check-in!
- The Prince George Hotel – Your pets receive a check-in package that includes a “comfy fleecy blanket, biodegradable waste bags, a bowl for food or water and an information package (that covers the best places for doggies to visit in the city)”.
This list of pet-friendly locations in Halifax is by no means exhaustive. Lucky for us pet owners, new spots for our pals are opening up almost daily.
Stay in touch! Whether you’re still planning your trip or you’re already here, check us out on social media for travel ideas, adventure inspiration, and an inside look at all things Halifax.