Blog written by Annie Rankmore
This year’s TD Halifax Jazz Festival is coming in hot and we want everyone to know all there is to know about it! So, let’s start with the things you DID know about the Halifax Jazz Fest:
First and foremost, this is one of the coolest music festivals in Atlantic Canada. Period. Not only is it a festival ON THE WATERFRONT, but from July 12-16, 2017 the TD Halifax Jazz Festival will be hosting concerts throughout venues in Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford and beyond. You can experience this incredible event from all over the region; this is a music festival unlike any other.
Now that we`ve recapped the easy stuff, enjoy the benefit of our research, and learn about these 7 THINGS YOU PROBABLY DIDN’T NOW ABOUT THE 2017 TD HALIFAX JAZZ FESTIVAL:
1. The TD Halifax Jazz Festival is the largest summer festival in Atlantic Canada
Not only is it the largest, it`s also the oldest jazz festival in Atlantic Canada, with 2017 ringing in its 31st year of bringing some of the best and biggest music acts to Halifax. TD Halifax Jazz Festival attracts up to 55,000 visitors to Halifax each year to witness these incredible outdoor summer concerts and special events.
2. Jazz Fest is celebrating Canada 150 too!
TD Halifax Jazz Festival is celebrating Canada 150 with a concert series called Jazz Connects! For four days from July 13-16, the festival will be travelling to a different locations around the Halifax region, highlighting the music of talented Indigenous, African Canadian, and immigrant artists from across the Maritimes.
3. This years’ headliners are AMAZING
Performers this year include Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Blue Rodeo, Jo Mersa Marley, Jesse Royal, Ron Sexsmith, Bria Skonberg and over 50 more!
4. Two of the biggest names in reggae, Jesse Royal and a Jo Mersa Marley are kicking off the festival on July 12th!
Yes, you recognized the biggest name in reggae correctly. Jo Mersa Marley is the eldest son of Stephen Marley and grandson of Bob Marley. Watch him kick of Jazz Fest on Wednesday July 12 at 8:30pm at the Waterfront Main Stage with fellow reggae legend, Jesse Royal.
This show is predicted to be one of the highlights of the 2017 festival and it’s got everyone in Halifax talking. Hurry and get your tickets before they sell out!
5. All the daytime concerts are FREE!
And on closing day Sunday, July 16 all performances throughout the entire day are FREE, including the evening concert with Gyposphilia and The Mellotones. There aren’t many opportunities to see acts like these perform free!
6. There are some serious ~legends~ who come to Halifax to perform at Jazz Fest
Bria Skonbergand Allison Au both play #HJF2017 and were just named by CBC Music as 2 of the “35 best Canadian jazz artists under 35”!
Hear Bria on the main stage Thursday, July 13. Allison plays Friday, July 14 at 2:30pm on the Waterfront Main Stage (this is a FREE show!).
7. The music is going to inspire you… fortunately, there`s opportunities to learn!
We hold interactive Jazz Labs at HRM Public Libraries and even one especially for kids on Theodore Tugboat as he sails around the harbour.
Are you convinced yet? Check out the 31st annual TD Halifax Jazz Festival running from Wednesday July 12 through to Sunday July 16, 2017.
Hurry and get your tickets for TD Halifax Jazz Festival before they sell out!
To purchase tickets: https://halifaxjazzfestival.etixnow.com
- Kiosk│ Etixnow kiosks are located at the Halifax Forum (2901 Windsor St.) and Music Nova Scotia (open weekdays 9am-5pm 2169 Gottingen St.), they accept debit and credit cards.
- During the festival| During the festival, the Box Office will relocate to the Main Stage (corner of Lower Water Street and Salter Street), 10 AM-9:45 PM daily starting July 12 until festival’s end.
- At the door│ Concert’s venue address, half hour before show time, subject to capacity. Cash or credit card payment accepted.
VIEW THE FULL #HJF2017 SCHEDULE: http://www.halifaxjazzfestival.ca/schedule/